วันจันทร์ที่ 16 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2555

OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-120G


I feel the need for speed, (What's this?) Replaced my primary drive in my MacBook Pro and the result is very fast boot, load and operations. It's not just faster, it flys.
Not ready for prime time, I bought the vertex three a month ago for a new water cooled build. I planned on sparing no expense and read some favorable reviews on ocz in general and the vertex 3 in particular. I wasn't until I experienced several BSOD's that I looked closer at the negative reviews. This drive fails far more than other brands especially if you have a cutting edge MB.
The first thing ocz support suggests is to make sure their are no "kinks" or "bends" in the sata 3 cable and of course to make sure you are using one. Secondly, they suggest you upgrade the firmware to the latest version which in my case was 2.15. This itself was a hassle since you cannot use the simple firmware upgrade tool on a system drive with the OS installed. I had to download a linux image, burn it to cd and then boot into linux to update the firmware. Once the new firmware was successfully installed i had no more BSOD's for a day or two but then they started again. There was no program or process that caused the failures. One time I was simply copying text from a web page and bamb BSOD.
I replaced the drive with a crucial 6gb/sec drive and no more problems.
Do not buy this drive or anything from OCZ. If they are willing to put out an expensive drive that is not ready for market they don't deserve your business or mine.
Super Fast SSD!, Ive owned 7 different OCZ SSDs and all which have been great with no issues.

I've owned

2 x 60GB Vertex
2 x 60GB Vertex 2
2 x 120GB Vertex Plus
1 x Vertex 3 MI

All which are going strong and fast. Only other brands I recommend in SSDs are, Corsair, Samsung, Intel and Kingston.
Very Pleased w/ OCZ 120 & 240 Vertex 3, I was very concerned reading all of the problematic reviews of OCZ's Vertex 3 drives. My son, who was visiting for Christmas and works IT for a major university talked me into it; he too bought a 120 from OCZ. The sale prices and speed were just too good to resist! We installed a 120 as an OS and application software drive on my year-old Dell Studio XPS 9100 and a 240 as sole drive on my Dell XPS L502X. Both were very robust prior to this installation, and afterward they are AMAZING! My 9100 only has SATA II, but the new drive still improved its performance visibly. Windows performance benchmarks went through the roof on both. Running both now for two weeks without one issue whatsoever. My son installed one in his new Dell laptop with the same great results. We read all of the instructional info on the web to maximize performance prior to installation and made sure that the bios and firmware throughout the machine were updated. Although I consider myself pretty functional with computer hardware and software, having owned and used them pretty intensively since 1986, updating the OCZ's firmware using a bootable Ubuntu (Lunix) CD and its associated command structure was pretty funky. I was lucky to have my IT son as tech support handy. Otherwise, it is all good.
Super fast drives, (What's this?) Easy to install on my Asus p8z68 mobo using intel raid 0. Running the AS SSD benchmark I was getting 986mb/sec read speeds.
Fast, decently priced; but Mac users, beware of caveats, (What's this?) This is my first SSD. After reading through so very many reviews on Amazon, NewEgg, TigerDirect and various forums, I decided to got with this via Amazon's Warehouse Deals due to pricing and capacity.

Price was right, shipment was quick, as is the drive. A noticeable difference. However, I am currently using a MacBook5,1 (MB466) and there are a few things you need to be aware of before walking into this.

1.) There are no native means by which to update firmware on OS X. There are, however, several autonomous Linux boot packages that OCZ has been providing in their support forums that work beautifully if you know what you're doing. Be prepared to:
-Burn your own boot discs with a provided .ISO image
-Read, read and read the forums.

2.) On a variety of Macs, this drive suffers from a bug that only allows it a SATA link of 1.5G/s vs the computer and drive's capability of a 3.0G/s link. This can be fixed with a patch that OCZ employees developed, which can be installed in the method described in item 1.) More info at the link below:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?96106-Macbook-users-with-1.5Gb-s-link-instead-of-3Gb-s-link

Without the fix, I was experiencing bursts of decent speeds, but beachballs/hangs/freezes all the damn time. Something as minor as clicking on a menu would trigger a 15-30 second freeze. Insanity. Since I've applied the fix, however, things appear to be working great. Time will tell, though.

Other remarks: you may be tempted to use one of the many TRIM enabling hacks or applications out there to get past the issues mentioned above. Don't. My understanding is that these SandForce-based SSDs have their own inbuilt methods of cleaning the drive up (something to do with having it's own garbage collection and its overprovisioning ), so they wouldn't benefit from TRIM -anyway-. However, when I applied the hack, it suffered from more hangups and freezes than it did without,

All in all, the product felt a little halfbaked in its release.
OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 works great but not reliably, (What's this?) It's a fast drive which is nice but it has a very, very troubled history of firmware. Even to this day doesn't appear to have been fixed. When it works I love it but given the blue screens I'm getting every other day now it's hard to be very enthusiastic. I've yet to try the most recent firmware update process due to the technical annoyance it presents, so it's possible my problems will go away once I make the time to go through with it.

In short I would not buy this or any other OCZ SSD product until I heard reliable and consistent evidence of quality product development.
Amazing, really, (What's this?) I did my research and settled on the 120GB Vertex 3 during black Friday; price and features were right. The only complaint I have is the install instructions were nearly non-existent. If you are going with a fresh Win7 install you might not have any issues. BUT if you are trying to copy from a larger Drive... you will want to punch your self in the face. I followed every installation article I could find online but after 3 days, I still couldn't get my old partition on to the drive, until I downloaded "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD". Took 15 min and I had a machine that is faster by at least 200%.

Win7 64Bit Pro on a 17" ASUS G74X- Plays Skirim on my 50" at 1080P at 60fps with hardly any load times at all... Beautiful..
First one died in 20 minutes, waiting on a replacement..., (What's this?) I installed the drive in my macbook pro, placing my mechanical disk in an optical bay chassis. Booted to usb, partitioned and installed 10.7. The machine had a blazing fast (sub 10 second) boot into lion, and that was the only time it booted. The drive worked for about 20 minutes as that's how long it took to install the os and boot the first time, and after that it failed to be recognized in system profiler or disk utility also not being present under another windows installation on the mechanical disk. Tried the drive on 2 separate desktops, and it failed to to be recognized by the bios and obviously at that point could not be seen by kaspersky or OCZ's bootable usb utilities.
Fast and cheap especially with high price of HD now, (What's this?) I have a few of these and also a 120gb. I have to say I returned the 120gb Sata II after about 11 months as it died, but replaced quickly by OCZ. The other Sata 3's I have are fine. There may be some issues with setting up in the bios prior to the install but the OCZ forum helps a lot, not that someone should be having to do that of course. A simple instruction set with the unit would help a lot. nicely packaged with the adapter for the 3.5" drive bay. Make sure you are using windows 7 or similar as these need the settings for an SSD (TRIM support etc) and your operating system needs to be aware of this to stop premature death of the unit. However if you have the latest windows they should work fast and efficiently for years to come. I liked it so much I just bought another one.

  • Max Read: up to 550MB/s, Max Write: up to 500 MB/s, 4KB Random Write: I/O Per Second (IOPS): 60,000 IOPS, Seek time: 0.1 ms, Controller: SandForce 2281
  • Life Expectancy: 2 million hours Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF), ECC Recovery: Up to 16 bytes correctable per 512-byte sector
  • NAND Flash Components: 2Xnm Multi-Level Cell (MLC) NAND Flash Memory, Interface: SATA III 6.0Gbp/s, Form Factor: 2.5" slim design form factor

  • Max Read: up to 550MB/s, Max Write: up to 500 MB/s, 4KB Random Write: I/O Per Second (IOPS): 60,000 IOPS, Seek time: 0.1 ms, Controller: SandForce 2281.Life Expectancy: 2 million hours Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF), ECC Recovery: Up to 16 bytes correctable per 512-byte sector.NAND Flash Components: 2Xnm Multi-Level Cell (MLC) NAND Flash Memory, Interface: SATA III 6.0Gbp/s, Form Factor: 2.5" slim design form factor.OCZ Vertex 3 Solid State Drives unleash the performance potential of the SATA 6Gbps interface, leading the speed revolution in this next-generation solution. As the first SSD to feature the latest Sandforce controller design, OCZ designed the Vertex 3 to push the limits in both sequential and random read/write rates to blaze past the competition when every MB/s matters. With incredible 4k file writes up to 85,000 IOPS, these latest drives take productivity, gaming, and multimedia applications to the next level to work in perfect symmetry with the latest enthusiast platforms.

    ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

    แสดงความคิดเห็น